HOME > About Tax-Free Shopping > Q & A
Q & A
- QI left my passport at my hotel. Can I apply for tax exemption tomorrow?
- ATax exemption procedures must be done on the day of purchase at the store or tax-free counter where you purchased your products.
Procedures cannot be done on a later date so please make sure to apply for tax exemption on the day of purchase within the store's opening hours.
- QI didn't get a stamp in my passport when I used the automatic gates to enter Japan. Am I still eligible for tax exemption?
- AYou must have an entry stamp to be eligible for tax exemption.
Please get a stamp from the immigration officer if you used the automatic gates.
- QIs it forbidden to take liquids inside the airplane? I have some tax-free purchases of cosmetics that I’d like to bring on board.
- ALiquid products taken inside airplanes must be 100 ml or less per item and placed in a transparent 1 ℓ vinyl bag with a zipper.
Items exceeding this amount cannot be taken on board even if they are tax-free purchases, so please put them in your suitcase and check them in.
- QI paid with my husband's credit card. Can I still apply for tax exemption?
- AA credit card with a name other than yours cannot be used, even if it belongs to a family member.
The names on the credit card, receipt, and passport must match when applying for tax exemption.
- QIs it true that purchases made at shopping malls and shopping streets can be consolidated for tax exemption purposes?
- AThere is a "consolidated tax exemption" system whereby purchases can be consolidated for tax exemption purposes in shopping areas where travelers need to pay separately at each store.
Please check in advance the location of the consolidated tax exemption counter and whether the store is covered by the system.