Make use of the tax exemption program!
What do you need to do to enjoy tax-free shopping? On this page we will explain step by step how to use the tax exemption program when shopping in Japan. Make sure that you understand the program and what you need to do to enjoy the benefits of it.
Look for these logos.
Tax-free stores will have these logos.
* Some stores without a "tax-free" logo may also offer tax exemption services, so please confirm at each store.
Go through tax exemption procedures.
Bring the items you would like to file a tax exemption application for, such as the purchased items and receipts, to the tax-free counter or cash register of the tax-free store.
* For those on the Trusted Traveler Program (TTP), please note that your passport is required in addition to your Registered User Card to qualify for the tax-exemption system.
- Required items for the procedure
- ●Purchased items
- ●Your own passport (with valid entry stamp) or cruise ship tourist permit
- * A receipt (written receipt not accepted) and the credit card used for purchase are required when applying for exemption at the tax-free counter.
Sign the "Covenant of Purchaser."
Read the contents of the covenant thoroughly and sign it.
Purchase at a tax-excluded price or receive a tax refund.
Purchases can be made at prices excluding the consumption tax amount. However, if using the taxfree counter, the accrued consumption tax will be refunded on the spot when going through the tax exemption procedure.
* A charge may be levied depending on the store.
Receive your items.
Purchased items will be sealed in a special bag or box before being handed over to you. You must keep them in that bag or box until you leave Japan.
* If your purchase quali.es for a combined tax refund, then your general items must also be kept in the special bag or box.
Go through the proper procedures at the airport.
When you leave Japan, submit the items you purchased along with the Record of Purchase that is affixed to your passport to customs.
Note that liquids cannot be taken onto the airplane.
- Caution | About quarantine
- Livestock products such as meat, marine products, and agricultural products such as vegetables and fruits must undergo an export inspection at the animal quarantine offi ce and plant protection station when being taken out of Japan. They will be confi scated when you exit the country if they have not undergone export inspections in Japan. There are some countries and regions that forbid the import of food products by law, so please make sure to confi rm the regulations of your home country or your next destination.